Saturday afternoon, the girls and I went to a flea market on the opposite side of Paris. It claimed to be the largest of its kind in the city. It was a fairly good size, but after seeing what one row has to offer, the rest pretty much mimic one another in selections. All I ended up buying were some black flats for my aching feet, best 6 Euro yet spent. We were all pretty exhausted after the bargaining and took some time off back on campus to decide what we were to do for the evening. To make a long story short, we first stopped at Cafe Cherie, where I dealt with a super uncomfortable mishap with the gentleman (termed loosely) I had met on Thursday night. After awkwardness galore, and a little disappointment, we walked like chickens without heads around a very sketchy neighborhood. I don't think my counting skills are ample enough to estimate the amount of cat calls we were blessed with. Despite this, we somehow made it to L'Alimentation Generale, where I promptly downed 2 tequila shots to ease the nerves. It was unfortunate that my throat was already burning from the weird, Tabasco-spiced drink I tried to pound back at Cafe Cherie. We danced to some tribal music, and the night yet again ended prematurely, as the lights in the bar flickered on at 1:40 AM. After much whining, we left the place, onto the narrow streets of Paris, with belligerent Parisians all around, who were equally as hopeful in continuing their nights. The bars/clubs in Paris generally close around 2 or 3 AM, so once everyone is kicked out, the streets are a shitshow. Our hunt for an open (and free) bar was unsuccessful and we tried to hail a cab. This was another circumstance that made me miss NYC, as it took us 45 minutes to give up the search, and get a ride home from Ricardo. By this time, it was 3:30 AM, but as I laid in bed, that Tabasco was still filming horror movies in my stomach.
Today I woke up at 2 PM and I can safely say I've done nothing productive all day, aside from jogging and copying down notes. BUT, we did manage to book a Fall Break Spain tour extravaganza. 8 days of touring the wonderful country of Spain and enjoying the physical (and personified) beauty. We are going to spend some time in Barcelona, then Malaga, Granada, possibly Morocco, and for the grand finale, the entire team will celebrate my 21st birthday in Madrid! I'm looking forward to it greatly. Spain is my ultimate destination, and as beautiful as Paris is, I'm over the constant wallet-raping. Also, I'm sorry to say... a lot of people are in fact, very snooty here, but maybe I am biased because I did not meet or meet up with the people I expected. Alas, I've got 2 weeks left here, and I will make the best of them because this experience is incredible and slipping through my fingers like sand with every passing day. As Steph said today, I wish I could be a student studying abroad for the rest of my life.
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment