Monday, March 14, 2011

Sometimes I feel as though I’m so full of love that nothing in the world could upset me. And other times, I’m so full of disgust for aspects of life that I could punch a hole in a wall or just fall asleep and be fine with never waking up. It seems as though the capacity to love is directly related to the capacity to hate. That is, you hate things that threaten that which you love. That is why hate is often paired with fear. Because fear of losing that which you love, spawns hate. So the two seem tied in a sort of balance. I guess this is why I can be so compassionate, and yet hate certain things so passionately.
I haven’t yet decided what this says about the goal to “love, not hate” and similar sayings. This seems impossible because if you love something, you will hate that which threatens it. I cannot think of an example in which you love something, but do not hate that which threatens it.

No comments: